View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by Lori S
I have been diligient in trying to avoid Walmart at all costs, because of what it does to the local businesses . These are businesses owned by comunity members who's profits will be spent in the comunity. And owners are present to listen and answer questions. Additionally I am old enough to remember that when Walmart first started national presence ... their big claim was that everthing in the store was AMERICAN MADE. This was silently abandoned once they had made them selves the giant retailer.
It is not that hard where I live to shop elsewhere, and get good prices. There is alot of competition for consumer dollars here. It is sad to see what Walmart has done to some rural areas local businesses.
It is even more regretful that once the local businesses are gone due to Walmarts presence, they abandon the offerings that may not have been as profitable as others , with no regard to the customers who had come to depend on them.
Well I am sorry for the soap box... but somethings just make me mad.
I agree. I bought bug rings at Wal Mart this summer, becasue I couldn't find them anywhere else. But I decided in the future I'll do without them. Hate the way WalMarts go in to an area and fight the locals who don't want their land/culture/economy chewed up and replaced with a big box.