Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 AM
merryhare

Originally Posted by craftybear
hubby is not a diabetic, was in hospital for a staph infection and they were counting his carbs intake daily (Dr. said to be on a healthy heart diet) I used to count carb, protein and fat when he was a diabetic, but he got a new kidney and pancreas transplant 9/18/90 and no longer a diabetic, thanks for posting that you are a dietician and hope you can help us

Originally Posted by merryhare
As a registered dietitian it is hard for me to see links to sites that push "low carbohydrate" eating. I will try not to get on my soapbox here. Your husband needs to eat a consistent amount of carbohydrate, not a "low" amount. Be aware that "low" carbohydrate foods can be high in fat which does not help in the weight control area.

If he has type 2 diabetes, his best friend can be weight loss of 10% body weight for a big improvement in control of his diabetes. Carbs are not bad, they are your fuel. Your brain and central nervous system needs about 130 grams per day just to sleep, breath, do nothing at all.
All for now or I will go on for hours........
A "Heart-healthy" diet should focus on low fat, specifically low saturated fat, not controlled carbohydrate. Carbs are extremely healthy for a healthy heart diet. Think whole, unprocessed foods like fruits, veggies, nuts, whole grains. Avoid juices, fats i.e. donuts and desserts, high fat animal proteins. Do use nut oils, olive oils, corn oil, etc. Avoid hydrogenated oils (think trans fats) even if made from "healthy" grains like corn, safflower, soy, canola. Butter in very small amounts is healthier than hydrogenated anything.
Being a vegetarian is more beneficial-- avoid animal products, not carbs, except fat free dairy like skim milk, yogurt, cottage cheese. Of course, fat free cheeses aren't worth eating in my opinion. So I use the real thing sparingly and have found that I don't miss the meats! I do have a fillet or prime rib for very special occasions and when I go to my mom's for family dinners (she is the best cook in the world!) I leave my vegetarianism at home for that meal.
Moderation, moderation, in all things.... except fabric purchasing!