Old 08-03-2010, 12:01 PM
sosewcrazy

Westom (and everyone) - I know our house is grounded to the water lines because I got shocked one day while turning on water in the shower. It was just after a heavy snowstorm and evidently I was touching the fawcet at the exact time the line came down and power went out.
Anyway - I found a whole house protector online and wondered if this is what you're recommending:

Overview
Rated for split/single phase panels up to 400 Amp
Indoor or outdoor installation
Visible Diagnostic LED
Compact chassis for easy installation
Essential Info
Protect your home automation, computer networking and home theater equipment with a surge suppressor that shields your home from debilitating power surges, even hardwired equipment. Designed specifically for residential use, this unit is rated for split single-phase panels up to 400 amps and will absorb an astonishing 2,700 Joules! With an ultra high spike capacity of 60,000 amps, this surge suppressor is one of the best values you'll find for the money anywhere. This unit is even equipped with an LED light to indicate protection status. By installing this Whole-House Surge Suppressor at the point-of-entry service panel, you'll not only protect against nearby lightning strikes, transformer overloads and problems from downed utility poles, you'll also expand the longevity of your electronics.
Increased Surge Protection
For items that are especially sensitive to surges (i.e. computers, A/V devices), we still recommend the additional protection of plug-in surge protection power strips. Due to the high-voltage nature of this product, we recommend installation by a qualified electrician, which usually takes less than 30 minutes.

Safety Considerations
A licensed electrician must install the SEP-200. Installation must follow applicable electrical codes.

ALSO, my Tin Lizzie owner's manual says I must use an uninterrupted power supply battery backup. I'm assuming from your posts that the UPS wouldn't be enough. I'm learning a lot from all these posts.