Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
westom
Banned

Originally Posted by sosewcrazy
Westom (and everyone) - I know our house is grounded to the water lines because I got shocked one day while turning on water in the shower. It was just after a heavy snowstorm and evidently I was touching the fawcet at the exact time the line came down and power went out.
Anyway - I found a whole house protector online and wondered if this is what you're recommending:
Effective protectors make an always required short (ie 'less than 10 foot') connection to earth. It does not discuss the most critical feature of every protector. It may be the world's best protector. But only if earthing exists and is properly implemented. That text says nothing about earthing. It may be a very good protector. But the most critical detail is not discussed.

An effective protector is at least 50,000 amps. Its 60,000 amps means it conducts typically 20,000 amps direct lightning strikes to earth – and remains functional. But again, only if that ‘less than 10 foot’ earthing connection exists. Two features essential in any effective protector.

Responsible companies that sell 'whole house' protectors include General Electric, Square D, Siemens, Intermatic, Keison, ABB, and Leviton. A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50. Numerous responsible sources for this well proven technology.

Grounding for human safety (ie shocks via plumbing) says nothing about earthing. You have confused earth ground with human safety ground. Your 'shock' implies a defective ground system. No shock should have been anywhere inside the building. Especially not in a shower.

What was the incoming and outgoing path through your body? Was a GFIC in that circuit? No ‘whole house’ protector may also explain a defective GFCI. Effective protection means no energy inside to shock “while turning on water in the shower”.

Two critical numbers. It must connect short (ie ‘less than 10 feet’) to single point ground. And it must be sized to conduct all surges (including direct lightning strikes) harmlessly to earth. Every incoming wire must be earthed directly or via a protector. You know effective protection does not exist. You even suffered a shock in the shower. Even if appliances are damaged, that shower shock must never exist.

If AC electricity does not have a 'whole house' protector, then most incoming AC wires are not properly earthed. It (or other failures) could explain the bathroom shock. A shock that says maybe 100 household appliance are also at risk.