Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM
quilt addict

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Question, the hand crank looks like it is pressed on as I cannot find a screw or pull it off. Had my brother and brother-in-law try it but doesn't budge. Does that sound right. It doesn't have the inner knob for a clutch. There is a small lever that fits in a slot on the hand wheel that acts like a clutch. Sorry would be so much easier with a picture.
So I cleaned enough to get the serial number and called White sewing company today. The machine was made in 1912, so almost an antique. Tonight I am going to try and open the manual. It is very fragile and partially eaten by mice. Doesn't smell too good either.

Today, went to the International Quilt Study Museum in Lincoln. There were some great reproduction quilts and exhibition on quilts from southern Asia.

But went to 5 thrift stores and one antique mall. No machines were rescued. But did get a baking pan for $0.75 for the kerosene spa treatment. And a baseball fabric panels that I can make 4 cuddle quilts for some little boys for $3.00. Overall a good day.

I hope to have the white machine head cleaned and back together before I go home. The cabinet and treadle will have to wait for the next trip. My sister now pulled out a treadle she was gifted from her DH's grandmother. It is a Free but needs the foot plate. So will take some pictures and post next week.