View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Bev

quote> Several years ago my SIL's mother was quite ill. I made her a lap quilt.
The 24 squares had all different machine embroidered 4 inch butterflies and the quilt was latticed, bordered & backed with a gorgeous butterfly fabric. Georgie, the Mom absolutely loved. My
SIL called me after Georgie died to say she put the quilt in the coffin with her Mom. I have to say that totally freaked me out. Perhaps I should have seen it as a supreme compliment, but I thought it was weird. Why not keep it as a nice memory? Am I nuts?[/quote]

Don't worry, you're not nuts!
But the idea of burying the lady with her quilt reminds me that in ancient times people were buried with their favorite things. For a man it might have been a bow and arrow or shield, for a woman maybe a favorite cooking pot etc. Get the picture? Maybe somehow these relatives of yours were doing something similar. Not that they have copied the ancient people, but that maybe the quilt was a favorite article of the person who passed away. We have to remember the emotions that come into play when a loved one dies. Remember Jackie Kennedy slipping her ring on JFK's finger in his coffin? That was a loving gesture. I'll stop now before this gets too morbid. :lol: :roll: