View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Originally Posted by anima57
Thanks to showing me this thread. my 2-1/2 grandson Nix was diagnosed two weeks ago with autism spectrum and yesterday had further testing that scored him as a 17. he starts home therapy this week, 4 visits a week 90 minute each. It helps to hear this. I am trying to be positive about the future and help for him but it is very difficult.
Zach was diagnose with hearing loss due to water buildup on his ears and had tubes put in at 18 mos. They thought he would get better since he couldn't hear because of the ear problems. When he still ignored us then Sara took him to the Dr and he was diagnosed then with Autism at an early age before the age of 2. Sara had early childhood education due to working in a daycare with 2 yr olds. so she got intervention for him early. He had two ladies that came in one at time each week and worked with him in the home. It was the best thing that ever happened for him. He is so much farther along than he would have been if that had not been started early.

I am so glad you got an early diagnosis and he is getting help now. Each person has a differant level of ability so each story is a bit differant but there are lots and lots of people on this board that have autism in their life. There is alot of support out there so if you want to talk about your experiences with this in a thread of your own you will get lots of support!! I encourge you to talk about what you are feeling as that is so important to have support to help you through those times when it feels like you are struggling with this.

There is alot of help online for autistic kids. My DD has researched and has a lot of info if you would like to talk to her I can give you her email in a pm so you can get all the info if that would help.

Being knowledgable is so important to stand up for what your child needs. Drs are only people and you need to find one that will help and not just pat you on the head and say he will outgrow it! some Drs can be sooo dumb! Sara has had to fight to get help for Zach. There are alot of tips to finding good care for your child.