Thread: I need help !
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM
DRogers870

Originally Posted by blue10moon9
Three words... Go for it!

When I started quilting my friends (actual quilters) laughed and told me I wasn't a quilter; I was a piecer. I would buy the most beautiful fabrics for a pattern and complete the top. But, I always chickened out when it came to quilt it and the new top joined an ever growing assortment of finished tops in storage bins. I couldn't bear the thought of ruining the pieced tops with my amateur quilting. I remained a piecer for many years.

Well, to my delight I actually pieced AND finished a quilt AND was pleasantly surprised with the results. I had bought a fabric with a large printed design for the backing that complimented the pieced top and free motioned around the flowers. I wish I could remember who to give credit to for the idea! But I believe it was a guest on Simply Quilts.

Once I got my feet wet and began taking classes and experimenting with different quilting techniques; I pull out finished tops from the storage bins to quilt and can't remember what the fuss was all about or what I was waiting for. My skills continue to improve with every top that I finish. My goal is to have one of my quilts on display in a quilt show and win a ribbon - While I'm still alive!

Quilt on Friend!
Thank you for the encouragement - that is a gorgeous quilt and I love the "back to front" quilting. I bought a book on that technique and even bought some backing fabrics, just haven't done anything with it yet, LOL. that label is really cute too ! Great job.