View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Carla Barrett

Hi Candace, I live out near Placerville, and have owned a longarm for over 6 years. Before I purchased, I was too impatient to go to a major quilting show, so i contacted each company and asked to test drive with a local Northern CA customer. At the end of the test drive, you will know which ones "feel right" for you and work within your budget.

Oh yes, I ended up purchasing an A1 and have been happy with my purchase. I attached a picture on my studio (in cleaner days!) Right now, Cara Gulati is the A1 Dealer for California and may be reached at [email protected]. (let her know I sent you! :-))

Other longarms besides the A1: I recently test drove many of the major longarm brands again while I was teaching at International Machine Quilting Showcase (MQS) in May. I was impressed with how the new innova machine is coming along. Also with the Gammill Vision.

When test driving a machine, make sure you try it with the stitch regulator on and off. See how it works on the diagonal and with making circles. Is the machine head and carriage combo move in a fluid motion? Do your research thoroughly and you will be happy with how it works out.

Midarms, when compared to a longarm, have the edge in only one area- price of machine. I have stitched on many brands of midarms. Again, I suggest you try them all. Be aware that many manufacturers call their systems "longarms," no matter what the size of the throat or working space. They do this for marketing reasons.

Good luck with your purchase! I am so glad I made the leap and bought one.

Regards, Carla
Blog: http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com

My A1 Longarm Machine sitting in my studio.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]107430[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107425.jpe