View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM
elkridgequilter

Originally Posted by JNCT14
I won't hand quilt because it hurts my wrists too much but I am definitely in love with hand piecing - The Celtic Illusions pattern is a bit picky when putting together the 9 patch blocks with the diagonal ones - much more accuracy with hand piecing!

Here's a question - I travel by plane for my job and I would love to take my hand work with me on the airplane especially on long haul flights - but what are the rules for taking pins and such? I figure that nail clippers will work in place of scissors, but the other stuff? I have been afraid to try because I don't want the stuff to get confiscated.
I piece on airplanes all the time. The current TSA rules allow you to take a needle and thread. I have a small felt needle book. I take 2 needles and 2 pins. In the US you can actually have small scissors (under 4 inches long). Some of the TSA agents don't seem to know their own rules so it is safer if the scissors are round tipped. If you are flying overseas leave the scissors in your checked luggage and use the nail-clipper thread cutting method. Even overseas I have never had my needle confiscated.