View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
aardvarq

Thank you Michael for your tutorial. I made one of these for my sister this weekend. It just fit in her car for a 4 hour drive home. She was tickled pink to have it.

If the maker feels extra handy, here is something they can do to 'fit' the new pressing board to their folding ironing board: when you are finished covering the new pressing 'board', lay it top-down on an even surface. Fold the ironing board you intend to put the pressing board on and lay it top-down evenly in the middle of the new pressing board.

I drew an outline of the ironing board on the underside of the new pressing board. I used the outline to position three cleats or long strips of wood outside the outline. This will act like a lip or edge to keep the pressing board from shifting while you press large objects. I used scraps of 1x3/4 lumber or any such sized scraps that are handy.

One other thing one might do is use two layers to cover the batting. Staple on a plain muslin layer, then staple on a second layer of what ever color fabric you like. This way, when the fabric surface wears badly, you can pull the staples and still have the first layer of muslin cover everything and keep it neat while you put on a new top layer of fabric.

You guys are great for offering so many helpful ideas!
Thanks again for all your ideas and help.

Aardie.