View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 04:55 PM
dixiechunk

While a 301 is often referred to as the FW's big sister it is not a Featherweight! It has similar features like the fold-up extension bed and the lightweight but it is an entirely different model. Not trying to slap anyone's fingers but this kind of misinformation is why you find all kind of machines listed as featherweights on e-bay that are anything but featherweights.
Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Originally Posted by MiMi in Lutz
Originally Posted by merryhare
Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Unless it's a 221 white or 222 I think it's kinda high.
I gotta agree with Sue, make sure that it works too. Also a reproduction case drops the price as well. Wait for "the machine for you" you'll find it, maybe not today or tomorrow but it's out there. There was one here in Portland a week ago for $150.00. Everything was there from what I could see, it was a great deal but I already own one. I transfered the link to the board here and noone ever commented. Hope one of us got it.
Also not all FW's came with a scrolled faceplate. It does not affect how the machine works. You can have two FW's side by side made the same day with consecutive serial numbers and they can each have a different faceplate. The Singer site says that the plates were dumped into bins and when it started running low they would dump the next run in it. You can also by aftermarket/salvaged faceplates for small $. Just need to look.
Good Luck, hope you find one!! :lol:
:XD:
The scrolled faceplates were on the older machines. The simpler lined ones I believe started in the mid-late 40's or early 50's. Do you research; ask for the serial number and see approximately what year and where it was manufactured.
I read somewhere on line that the scroll ones were discontinued during World War 2. So from that time on Singer did make the scroll faces. Also I read the cases made in US were made with a glue that smells so bad, but the cases made in Europe did not have the same smelly glue.
I bought my FW on Ebay for $199 and that included shipping. It was made in 1941 and it works like a charm. I love it and recently bought the big sister - the Singer 301a. It is also a FW but a few pounds heavier and also has a larger bed, slant needle and feed dog drops. It should arrive on Tues....cant wait. Remember these FW's are made with metal gears...that is why they keep on sewing after all these years!
I didn't realize that the 301A was a FW also. I have one and I love it. I need to get it out so I can use it. Only have so much space though.