Thread: Elm Creek Books
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Lisanne

I love them, too.

One thing about the series is that some of the books do stand alone. For the most part, you'll want to read them in order, but for example, The Sugar Camp Quilt takes place in the 1800s, and The Lost Quilter is pretty much its sequel. However, if you read it in series order, you'll understand the present day "background" better.

Circle of Quilters is another one I think can stand alone, because it's mostly about people looking to be hired at Elm Creek Quilts, but then again, the premise gives away a bit about some of the series characters that you may not want to know out of order. (IMO, it's not a big deal, but knowing ahead of time spoils it for some people.)

I will say that if you want to dive into the whole quilt retreat atmosphere, start with the second book. The first book kind of gets the main characters together. It has quilting in it, but that takes time to get started. On the other hand, it's a good story in its own right.

All of the books are wonderful and they're not all the same at all. They make great re-reads, too!