Old 09-09-2010, 09:11 AM
weezie

Originally Posted by weezie
Originally Posted by Abigail's Mimi
I am newly registered but have been following this board for months. I have started the FWQ and have completed 41 blocks so far. I have never done anything quite like this but I am enjoying it very much. I can't get a picture in my head of what you are referring to. Is it possible to explain further? This is for Weezie.
I forgot to mention that I could not use this method for blocks 13 or 14 because I was using pre-cut 2-1/2" strips & squares.

I typed another long explanation, but decided it was still confusing, so I erased it and I will do it later with pictures added. Probably some time today, so stay tuned!
Here goes my attempt at pictures + explanation:

1st photo is 2 fabrics, right sides together + lining up straight of grain with square ruler and determining bias with 24" ruler.
2nd is where ruler is positioned to draw the 1st sew line.
The last photo should have been #3; shows how I determine the distance between the lines I draw & sew.
3rd has 5 sew lines drawn; as you will see, this gives me 2 strips when they are sewn & cut. They are the depth of the #38 triangle.
4th shows really crooked sewing, but since I cut this into little pieces, that's not such a big deal.
5th are the cut strips and 6th shows the template ready to cut the first little square; the dotted line of the template lines up with the sew line.
7th shows a few pieces cut ... just alternated/flipped the template position because I had sewn enough seamlines to be able to do that.
8th shows the finished blocks + a little spare piece of strip if needed and the larger triangle pieces will be used in the quilt block also.

If I have told you the obvious, I apologize. If I've left any questions, let me know.

2 rulers to determine bias
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114222[/ATTACH]

ready to draw 1st line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114223[/ATTACH]

3 lines drawn & fabrics pinned securely
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114227[/ATTACH]

Strips cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114235[/ATTACH]

Ready to cut 1st triangle/square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114245[/ATTACH]

Flip template & cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114247[/ATTACH]

Cut, trimmed & open
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114328[/ATTACH]

This pic should be #3 in sequence.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114337[/ATTACH]

Stitched & ready to cut
[ATTACH=CONFIG]114391[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114217.jpe   attachment-114218.jpe   attachment-114222.jpe   attachment-114230.jpe   attachment-114240.jpe  

attachment-114242.jpe   attachment-114323.jpe   attachment-114332.jpe   attachment-114386.jpe