View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Nancy11442

Originally Posted by EmsMom
Hello,

I hope I am posting this question in the correct forum. I am new to these boards and new to quilting.

I am going to be making my first rag quilt. Would love any advice, tips, etc.

I bought pre-cut squares from ebay (I will post a pic) the fabrics are a mix (is it ok to have mix?): cotton, flannel and minky (only four squares of minky). I have tried to do some research on rag quilts and I am learning that minky doesn't "rag" . . . . however, I have seen pictures of rag quilts made from minky and they have ragged?? So I am a bit confused about that. Have any of you used minky for rag quilts?

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and learning lots on this forum!

Happy Friday everyone!
You will become addicted to this site just like you will to quilting!! It's wonderful...just like having your very own quilt guild. I also have a question about rag quilts. I love them for gkids and baby gifts, etc. However, how do you choose fabrics that shrink the same amt. I bought flannel for a rag quilt and it shrank at different rates and now some of my strips are much shorter than others. I end up cutting away so much just to even it up. Am I missing something? (probably) Please educate me!!