Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Suz

I was going to comment to Bonni privately, but feel several of you will benefit from my suggestions. If you look closely at Bonni's heart, you can see the seam allowance shadow along the edge of the heart. It is just too wide. Please keep the seam allowance to 1/4" and no more. A little less is even better. This is what has caused the points she has along the outer edge.

When you are doing needle turn applique, use the pillow as suggested in another post as a third hand. As you stitch, you MUST get the thumb from your non-stitching hand involved. If one of the points appears or your edge is not smooth, take your needle and stroke underneath the applique piece until the point disappears. Stroke by tugging slightly until you are satisfied the edge has smoothed. THEN, hold it in place with your thumb and stitch.

And for 'quiltbuddy', I would suggest the Karen Kay Buckley DVD. I have not seen it, but have confidence she will provide an outstanding DVD. I have had the privilege to have taken two year-long applique courses from her. (She came to us every month for a year.) She is an excellent teacher, funny and a genuinely nice person. You will not be sorry if you purchase her video.

Hope this all helps. Suzanne