View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 AM
QuiltswithConvicts

Originally Posted by Randa
Okay, so far I've heard people use their embroidery machines to make labels, or permanent marker (that I've heard isn't all that permanent). Is there any other types? Do you order labels? Wondering about hand embroidery. Or any other options?
I only use Sharpie Markers. They were originally designed as a laundry marker, so you Mom could write your name in your underwear when you went to camp. :D

However, you MUST heat-set any marker, including Sharpies.

I use the finest tipped Sharpie and write on the front of the quilt - "K. Mills 2010" or whatever year it is/was/will be. I usually find a place on the lightest colored fabric somewhere near the center and along a seam line. I write very small.

Of course, I will put a label on the back if it's going to a show. I will sew it into the quilt on 2 sides when I'm stitching the binding on. Then there are only 2 sides left to hand stitch. I will iron small strips of WonderUnder to those edges to hold it in place until it's stitched down - no pins to stick & stab! Not that I'm worried about the quilt being stolen or anything, but if someone is willing to throw bleach on a quilt at Houston - you never can tell. I can always make another one.