Thread: Where You Live
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 06:05 AM
kit'smamma

Originally Posted by stancilgirls
I hate where I live, Eastern North Carolina. I only have 6 more years before retirement. Since my mother lives with my sister and myself, we'll be here until she is gone (a long, long time I hope.) Then my sister and I are leaving. Hopefully the mountains of North Carolina or Tennessee.

I don't like the weather, to hot!!!! It's a very poor area and high unemployment. In my work I deal with a lot of people who feel like they are entitled to everything free. What they don't realize is "free" means somebody else is paying for it. If they don't get what they want they get nasty and mean.

I want peace and quiet. A community where I feel appreciated and a part of. I've lived in the same town off and on for my entire life and I'm treated like an outsider.

Love my family, whic is why I stay and try to be patient.
I did what you are dreaming of. DH and I each came from suburb of big cities, he Detroit and I New York. We lived between Ann Arbor and Detroit, then suburb of Baltimore in Catonsville MD then Clearwater FL. We thought we'd died and gone to heaven when we went south because Clearwater still had some of the atmosphere of what we envisioned as a small town. By the time we retired we couldn't wait to leave. One couldn't find a place to sit at the beach, traffic was clogged etc. We fled to mountains of western NC and never looked back. The housing boom threatened the culture of the place but since that what stopped in its tracks we are still safe from developers. Sadly the economy is farther in the dumps than some other places but total strangers still greet you at the check out line at the grocery store (which is 18 miles from home for me). If you have a need for help the neighbors practically stand in line to help you out. It's also loaded with quilters, some of them from generations of them.