Thread: Binding Tip
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Lady Shivesa

Originally Posted by wildyard
Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
Now don't laugh at me if this is a tip broadly known and I just never heard of it before. I've only been quilting for about 1-2 months so I'm still learning, and I discovered a neat way to make hand sewing the binding onto the back of your quilt a lot easier. I figure there have to be some newbies out there like me that might benefit from this, so here goes.

It's pretty simple, after you sew your binding on to the front, flip it over and iron the binding down. It takes a minute or two, but it really helps get the binding to be even on the front (i.e., you're not repeatedly pulling the binding too far or not pulling it enough around the edge). I usually start with one side, iron it all down right, sew it, and then move on to the next side, iron, sew, etc.

Anyways, sorry if that's a pretty obvious tip, but I'm finding it makes handsewing the binding on WAY easier and more fun. :)
Do you mean just press it, or do you mean use some kind of iron on stuff that sticks it in place?
I just press it. I do use a little steam, and it makes it stay down quite well - but I've only tried it on wall hangings and smaller projects, so I imagine with a larger quilt you would want pins or glue or something in addition to keep it from getting messed up when you're moving all the material around.