Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Quiltforme

Ok I did it I finished my first free motion quilt. I really got into the FMQ to the point my daughter said you know mom there is a thing as too much quilting.

My advice for trying this. JUST DO IT! This quilt just spoke so much that my only draw back was the color choice of thread. (ok and that some of the areas have no batting because I might have overdone the quilting) and be prepared to rip out seams not just a couple I mean sections upon sections. I thought I would plan one of the sections I sewed it to completion and took one look at it and ripped it out because it was not speaking to me. Then I put the little boys name on the quilt and did a shadow I think it is called around the name and it fit so much better!! I would suggest if you are going to do as much "painting" like I did that maybe choose a backing that is not as busy as mine. I cannot wait to see Aarons face. Not only is he getting a new quilt my son is handing down his big boy bed (It happens to be a cars bed so this will be perfect!!)

One note I also went to the website http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...rful-week.html
Leah Day give some amazing short videos on her techniques and it really helped me a lot!

Mater with a lot of thread painting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91330[/ATTACH]

Lightening McQueen with some highlights
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91331[/ATTACH]

Aaron's Name with shadowing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91332[/ATTACH]

Logo I really like how this turned out
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91333[/ATTACH]

Can you see the flags crossing I did this around the entire border free hand
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91397[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91325.jpe   attachment-91326.jpe   attachment-91327.jpe   attachment-91328.jpe   attachment-91392.jpe