Thread: Cabbage Rolls
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Miss Patsy Jane

That's pretty much the way I make mine but I add garlic salt because we like garlic. I've been thinking about making some and this makes me think it even more! And they are good left over. Good idea on freezing them. I think I'll try that. I had never even heard of cabbage rolls until I married my Slovak husband 46 years ago and I got the recipe from his mother and changed it a little by adding the garlic salt since she didn't like galic.

Originally Posted by Feather3
Originally Posted by johnniesgirl
Feather 3 - Do you cook them before freezing them?
Nope. Freeze them raw. I do NOT cook the filling either.

I use 5# ground chuck, cooked rice (about 3-4 cups cooked let cool before adding to meat), onions, a couple eggs & 1 can condensed tomato soup. Mix it all together. This is placed in the cabbage leaves, then frozen.

When I cook them I use a metal roasting pan. Pull them out of the freezer, let stand long enough to break apart. I lay them in the pan, stack if needed. I then use 3 cans of condensed tomato soup, with a half can of water for each can. Mix it up & pour it over the cabbage rolls. Cover pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until done. You check for doneness by sticking a fork in the thick part of the cabbage leaf stem. If they look like they're getting too brown, just baste them. If you have any leftovers they should be cut/sliced to reheat in microwave or they won't get warm in the middle.