Thread: How many of you
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by mom-6
I was a home ec major in college, then picked up quilting lo these many years later. I would like to find some classes to help hone my skills, as I feel like I'm floundering in the dark sometimes. This board is awesome and I've learned most of my quilting specifics on here. But sometimes you just need some hands on, in person 'here's what you should/shouldn't be doing'.
Hey mom'6. I was a home ec-er also. That was in the days when Home Economics was home economics. In the sewing area we did everything from hand stitching of baby garments to pattern drafting, to tailoring and everything in between. Although quilting wasn't present when I was in the program. Too bad! I may have started this passion way back then. But my interest in fabrics and sewing pretty things never wained. Although I did change direction and later became an elementary teacher, I was always a "home ec major" at heart. I guess you could say I have two hearts. Loved those first graders!

I've learned quilting from many sources. Georgia Bonesteel was the first quilter I saw on PBS and then many more were to follow. Then I had a few quilting friends who sparked the interest in me and made me feel that maybe I could do that too. And then I took a few classes and, of course, there is this board. BUT I still consider myself a seasoned beginner.