View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 04:36 AM
kalady

Originally Posted by Prism99
These are beautiful quilts!

In terms of a wow factor, think about using additional colors. Blue is calming in practically all of its incarnations, and especially in florals, so using all blues and whites pretty much guarantees a calm quilt. I always offset blue fabrics with pink fabrics to add a little dynamic "tension". You might look to add pink florals to your stash, and also fabrics that have both pink and blue flowers (so you have some transition fabrics to work with).

It seems to me that many of your florals are of large flowers in one color. Try adding in some smaller sized florals, and also some non-floral fabrics for variations in texture. For example, even if you wanted to stick with all blues, some ocean blues and sky blues would add a lot of textural variation.
What a good thoughtful answer this is, Prism99! I find it helpful myself and appreciate the bravery of Dolly to put your work "out there" for evaluation. While there is nothing "wrong" about two lovely tops, Dolly is looking for WOW. I am so with her and always appreciate thoughtful evaluations of my work! I think that the size of the blocks are a little too small for the flower (black and blue) size as I am not seeing really much of the complete flower-sort of choppy and slightly muddles the contrast. I also think that more contrast a (lighter blue or tone on tone geometric white/cream) would quilt out as a WOW. A range of value and some geometric relief from all floral is MHO.