View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
dmackey

Originally Posted by ccthomas
What is free cycle? I have not heard of this one.

And does everyone name their sewing machines? I never even thought of giving a name! I am amazed. Now I am thinking!
Hi CC,

Freecycle is a yahoo group where people post stuff they want to get rid of for free. The idea is to keep usable things out of the trash, so you see lots of broken things on there (like lawnmowers), that are fixable or useable for parts, tons of furniture, and kids clothes and toys.

You will get a lot of emails from the group, but well worth it and the delete button willl be your friend! I have gotten a wonderful patio set, a complete set of luggage, a NEW Showtime rotisserie, and I have seen some fabulous things on there. Some people just want you to clean out their house for them, but being a treasure hunter, I'm game! My landlord loves that I am on it because I get stoves and refridgerators for him, but his favorite is the riding lawnmower that needed a minor repair.

Go to http://www.freecycle.org, and follow the prompts to pick your state and area and join the groups closest to your location.

I have given away all my excess craft stuff, some furniture, bedding, clothes, shoes, planter pots, boom box, TV, hanging file folders, a desk, picture frames, dishes, tons of VHS tapes, and lots of books.

The most exciting thing I have ever seen on Freecycle was a whole kitchen! New homeowners of a seven year old house, wanted to remodel the kitchen and gave away everything currently in that kitchen, cabinets and appliances, to anyone who would come and carefully remove it by a certain date. Probably worth about $10K!

I don't know about anyone else, but I name my car (Tessie the Taurus) and some of my electrical buddies, like my sewing machines, Stella, Bertha, and Gert. If I ever get a 201 or a 301, her name will be Millie, after my grandma, who sewed on a 201. I don't mind being an oddball at all! LOL!

Diane