View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM
okiepastor

I have spent over six months recovering from four trips to the hospital and two surgeries. I discovered that I needed to do things "one bite at a time" So 5 minutes at the machine instead of 15 minutes--or an hour! Now I can sew about 45 minutes , then need to rest. What about some super easy projects--like the 15 minute table runner (really it takes 30!) and place mats to match for gifts--or a lap quilt the easy way (strip quilted or 4, 9, or 16 patches). Or a tea cozy--or eyeglass cases--or small totes. t is amazing how much I got done 5 minutes at a time.....and it made me feel MUCH better to actually be able to do something again. When I could not sit at the machine, I fringed some wool shawls for gifts for Xmas.......
Tonight I made disappearing 9-patch table runners with the 15-minute method....and tomorrow am doing a demo on it at the quilt guild meeting. When I come home, I will make place mats to match---under an hour total for 4..plus 1/2 hour for the runner---made in "bites".
I found a wonderful way to get rid of frustration is to rip strips for strip quilts---watch it, though, some do NOT tear well--great way to get rid of angst! Use the fabrics you bought and now do not like--I do Grab n sew---PM me if you want to know how I sew them....