Thread: Jelly Roll
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Twilliebee

Originally Posted by cindle
Ok so I went to the lqs today and the jelly rolls were all around $60 so I didn't end up getting one. Why are they so expensive I just couldn't comprehend spending that much on a jelly roll when I could get a few meters of fabric at other stores for less then that. Just me I thought it was kind of a lot.
It's a shocking amount, isn't it? Especially since at that price you're paying about $30 per metre for fabric. If you have a little stash or some friends to trade with you could each buy a metre or even 1/2 metre and cut up your own jellyrolls to share.
They charge all the market can bear because it's fabric from an entire collection. I suspect with the way the GO cutters are getting more accessible in cost, precut fabrics will start getting a little more realistic in price.
There are posts here on the board of fellow quilters willing to cut for a small fee per piece or strip, so things will probably change in the long run.
You might want to go have a look at the Connecting Threads website. One thing I really like about their pre-cuts is that the exact amount of fabric contained is listed for each one, and the cost for cutting is very very small.
Shipping to Canada is very reasonable, too. Flat rate of $7 for orders over $50 if I remember correctly. There are a number of websites with very reasonable shipping and pretty decent prices.
Have fun and shop carefully............
Hugs from PEI