View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Tinabodina

My favoriate memory is with my "step grandmother". This was back in the 50's. I was about 5 years old. My step dad would clear out her dining room every year after Christmas. The he would set up some boards of which I had no idea for what they were used. All of a sudden all these woman would sit in chairs and sew on this big cloth. One year I ask them what was going on. My grandmother told me about the "blanket" I liked to cover up with when I took a nap, and how all these ladies made it. Of course the blanket was a quilt. Then she ask me if I would like to learn. That was my very first experience with quilting. Every year I sat with the ladies, feeling very grown up and making little stitches. I didn't talk because children were to be seen and not heard, but I loved every minute. When I was 12, we moved away and until I was in my 50, quilting never entered my life. When it did, all the memories flooded back in and I remembered how happy I was being allowed to sit with the ladies as we did our little stitches. Every time I go in my quilting room, these happy memories return. Only now do I know how much pleasure all those ladies had each time they sat around all those boards.