View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM
JanTx

I have taken one class - just this past summer - and it got me hooked. This forum is where I have learned more than from the class, but the class got me started.
The teacher is our local retired home ec teacher so her patience and experience teaching were a huge bonus. She limits the class to 4 people. Says she can't give enough attention when there's more than that. The class is held after hours at the LQS, but the teacher is paid directly - not through the shop. The project was a small sampler quilt. We got it finished through the sandwich, but the last class had us machine quilting and putting binding on scrap squares she provided - we didn't finish our project through the class, but had the skills to do so.

The class met 4 times - every two weeks - from 6:00 - 9:00 PM. Other beginner classes were held during daytime hours.

We selected fabrics at the LQS with either the teacher or the shop owner's help. Nothing said we had to purchase our fabric there, but we all did - as beginners we had no clue where to start otherwise. We should have been given a list of supplies needed, an overview of each lesson's objectives, and an idea of the end product before the class began, but we were not. Many were disappointed at the size of the finished project (about 36" square) compared to the amount of fabric purchased. Had a friend who took a differect session of the same class who just kept making blocks from her material until she got a full sized quilt out of it. Wish I'd thought of that. I use mine as a table topper and feel that the skills gained were worth the price of the class even if the finished project probably wasn't.

I'm now looking for a machine quilting class held either on Saturdays or next summer anywhere within an hour's drive and so far have not found one. Several shops have answered my email saying they'll let me know if one is scheduled.

I took the class with a friend and highly recommend that!