Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by GailG
Have any of you ever tried the recipe for making the "Best Press" at home? It seems it's just cornstarch, water, and essential oil scent. I was wondering if it gunked up the iron sole plate.
I don't think Best Press has cornstarch in it, the bottle says it will not attract bugs. Anything with the cornstarch will, tho. I don't like the homemade kind because it makes such a mess of the iron soleplate. I have enough things to clean without having to clean the iron all the time.

I couldn't agree more! Imagine what kinds of bugs we'd have here in FL. if we used a cornstarch spray starch. Wow, the bugs would be all over my sewing room, not to mention anyplace else that had a quilt made with cornstarch. Of course washing should take it all out, but I still wouldn't want to take a chance. It seems that, here at least, once you get a certain kind of bug you may as well accept the fact that you'll be battling it for life.
And believe me, I've lived here all my life. I watched my mom and grandmom battle the bugs. If you turn your back for a moment, they take over. Just like the vines and grass.