Old 11-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

And not a day too soon... the costume was required tomorrow, with dress rehearsals on Wednesday and Thursday, and the performances are Friday and Saturday.

My daughter is playing the role of Ursula in her school musical, and this costume was a real trip to make! Her teacher picked up the black dress at a secondhand store, all I had to do was shorten it and add the sequins.

The tentacles are made of a 12" x 48" section of chicken wire (from the floral section of JoAnns), covered with thin batting to hide the lumps and bumps, then covered with fabric. There's about a foot of cardboard near her waist to make them stick out. They were sewn on to a belt that was made of a piece of heavy vinyl fabric, folded over on itself several times and covered with velveteen. She's got "suspenders" to help hold this all up, that is one running length of elasticized sequin trim, running up and across and over and under and... well, pretty much everywhere.

DD helped to sew the batting onto the forms, and to sew some sequins onto the tentacles. (Doesn't every teen spend Sunday evenings attaching suction cups to their tentacles?)

The thud you are about to hear is me falling into bed. This was a rather exhausting assignment!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-126592.jpe