View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Miss Patsy Jane

I googled the recipe and found it! This is the best fruitcake I've ever eaten or made. I had earlier sent the history of the recipe , but I don't see it yet. But here is a good recipe if you want to try it. I also like to put the fruitcake, wrapped in cheese cloth and put whiskey or my sister was going to put rum on top of it, your preference, of course. But it is really a good cake.

Marty Aronowitz's Fruitcake Recipe

1 lb. pitted dates

1/2 lb. candied cherries

1/2 lb. candied sliced pineapple

1 lb. coarsely chopped pecans

1 C. sugar

1 C. flour

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. nutmeg

4 eggs

1 t. vanilla

Line angel food tube pan with parchment paper. Spray with vegetable cooking spray, if desired.

Cut fruits into small pieces; mix with chopped pecans. Sift dry ingredients together; mix with fruits and nuts. Beat eggs with vanilla; pour over fruit mixture. Mix well.

Pack into pan. Bake for 2 hours at 250° F. Top of fruitcake may be decorated by removing cake from oven after 1 hour and garnishing with more pineapple slices, halved cherries and pecan halves.

Return to oven to finish baking. Cool completely, preferably overnight, before removing from pan.

Yields 5 pounds.

Note: Marty Aronowitz shared the following recipe with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram in 1964. He died in 1986, but repeat the recipe every year with memories of all the pounds of fruitcake he - and the city - made with his recipe. Don't expect a cakelike consistency; this is chewy.