Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Okay, I fell off the machine diet today. Went to estate sale and was going to look at the treadle listed....but ended up with machine with a tail. I don't have room for another cabinet so got them to sell me the machine and all stuff in the drawers for $35. Here is my new Slant-O-Matic 500A. It has the sales receipt so was purchased in Norfolk, VA on Sep 18, 1962 for $304.40 It was a 533 cabinet listed on receipt.

She purrs like a kitten. But there was no bobbin with it. Does anyone know if it uses a standard bobbin? It doesn't say the type in the manual.

Only issue with initial look is need the top hinge pin for the face plate, clutch will not disengage and missing the detacable spool pin. Is there a secret to get the top to stay closed?
I have the 503a Slant 0 Matic, Rocketeer that I got from a barn sale for $10! No feet, no cams came with it. I love that machine! It is so fun to play with the different cams. I bought the original set of cams that came with the machine and the feet the originally came with the machine off of E-bay. I also just won an original button hole attachment with the different cam thingys to make different type button holes. They are on sale on e-bay now, I bid on the second set and won it for $10.50. These are original - brand new - button hole attachments that these people came across still in unopened boxes - half a pallet full, so if you don't have that attachment you can get one! My machine is a 1961 and looks a little different from yours -- but, still the Rocketeer style. This style machine was only made between 1960 and 1962! We took my machine out of the original cabinet -- cabinet in bad shape - and it is now a portable! Someone on e-bay is selling all the machine parts - separately - right now if you search for Slant 0 Matic. The only thing mine is missing is the top spool pin, and the wire thingy (Bobbin Winder Kick Out Spring) that keeps the bobbin winder from running all the time. My DH just put a rubber band between the bobbin winder and a spool pin to keep the bobbin winder disengaged so it doesn't run all the time.

I bought the Singer Bobbin Winder Kick Out Spring, but my DH doesn't know how to attach it so we are still using the rubber band to disengage the bobbin winder.

Nancy