Old 11-25-2010, 06:13 AM
sherriequilts

I mailed a package of fabric and quilting supplies including rotatry cutters, blades, mats, pins, seam ripper, etc. Everything a beginning quilt would want or need. Value probably about $300. This went to Malta. My friend received a request to come down to customs office to pay duty or provide proof that the items were a gift. I emailed her a list and statement that it was all a gift. When she got there the package was EMPTY except for a cheap little fuzzy backed tablecloth for design purposes that I stuck in at the last minute costing $1. They then gave her a letter from USPS stating the package was damaged in route and sorry. So why did customs want a statement from her or her to pay duty on an empty package? I have not been able to figure that out! So when I go to Malta (someday, if ever) I will hand carry some things to her!
I did take two quilt to Sweden summer before last because I wanted to make sure the recipients did get them. Wouldn't you know Delta misplaced my luggage going and returning! Fortunately both times I did get the luggage, but like 3 days after arrival. The quilts did eventually get there and were a hit with my friends, but my auntie won't use hers, says it is too pretty and put it away in the closet!