Thread: Cinnamon Rolls
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 05:07 PM
amandasgramma

By popular demand:

Cinnamon Rolls

I make these in the bread maker -- dough cycle.
I also “proof” my yeast first *

¼ cup warm water (not hot -- 110 to 115 degrees)
1 pkg active dry yeast
¾ cup lukewarm milk
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
¼ cup soft shortening
3 ½ to 3 ¾ cup flour

Dump all into bread maker or mix in bowl. If using the bread maker, let it go thru the dough cycle…It will raise 1 cycle (mine does anyway)

Remove to counter and roll out to 15 x 9” rectangle. Spread with butter (I used lots) and sprinkle with ½ cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon (I mix them together first).

Roll up tightly, along the long edge. Try to seal by pinching the end to the roll. Even up the roll by stretching slightly. Cut roll in 1” slices

Place 1 cube of margarine (butter or diet butter won’t work) in a 9x13 pan and place in a 375degree oven to melt.

When margarine is melted, add about ¼ to ½ cup dark brown sugar (light will work, but dark makes it look yummy). Stir to dissolve slightly. Place the cut rolls in the pan…..
Cover and raise until doubled in size - about 35-40 minutes. I put mine on the stove and leave the oven on.

Bake for 25-30 minutes

Invert onto cookie sheet immediately and let cool long enough so they’re easy to handle.

ENJOY

* Proofing yeast: Mix ¼ cup of the water (warmed to 110-115) with the yeast. Add 1 TBSP of the above sugar. Wait 5 minutes until the yeast is foaming really good. This helps with ANY bread you make in the bread maker.

NOTE: The length of time for raising is based on the temp in the house. Just watch it and wait till it’s raised nicely. It’ll raise more in the oven.

Also -- I live at 4300 foot elevation -- I use only 2 tsp of the yeast. It works a LOT better.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-134381.jpe