Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 PM
connie_1936

can't do hand applique any more so i've switched to raw edge machine applique. i use rayon thread or invisible thread depending on how many colors the design uses. trace the design on wonder under then cut out leaving about 1/8 inch all around.i then fuse the cut out to the appropriate color fabric. green for leaves, pink for petals etc. for me the next step i use is the most important. using elmers school glue it must be school glue, paint with the glue a little more than 1/8 inch all around the edges of the cut outs. let dry then and cut on your traced line. now when you peel the paper backing off you don't get fuzzy threads on the edges. the fuzzies always ruined the raw edge method for me. fuse the pieces to the block . use a press cloth to keep your iron clean. then i spray the block with spray starch and iron. starching gives the block enough stability so you don't get any puckers. finally, soak the block in cool water or wait until its been quilted to soak. the elmers school glue is nothing but super heavy starch so it comes out when soaked. looking forward to learning some new techniques from the board.