View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 PM
SandyinZ4

Wanted to show you pics of my lastest finished quilt. This was a top that a friend had made but then did not want. She had put the pinkish border on two sides but then ran out of fabric. So since I tell her never to toss anything in the trash, she sent it to me. I simply cut the two existing borders in half and sewed the cut off parts to the other two sides. This quilt would not win any prizes but it sure is warm. The attic windows each have a different fabric in them so will make a neat kids quilt. However, it does cover the top of our queen size bed and hangs over the edge so quite a big thing.

Instead of putting batting in the middle, I opted to just put fleece on the back which still makes it nice and toasty and not too heavy. Then I wanted to practice my machine quilting on it as opposed to sending it out to be done and having that cost $80 or more.

I only did wavy lines to hold down the seam places. This technique for making attic windows I have never tried before and where the corner Y seams met sometimes there was a small gap where they had not been sewn perfectly so I wanted to sew over them to make sure they wouldn't come unsewn.

Then I did not want to take the time to sew the binding edge on by hand so did it with a fancy stitch on my machine. It went really fast and I was quite pleased with that part of it. I did it in a rainbow look and so the colors change as it goes around the outside, although hard to see in pictures.

There are a couple more mistakes in it that I myself made but since you can't see them, I'm not telling. Just have to make a label for it now and then it will go on a shelf waiting to see where it finds a home. :- )

close up of FMQ
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134914[/ATTACH]

machine binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134915[/ATTACH]

Helping hubby holding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134916[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-134909.jpe   attachment-134910.jpe   attachment-134911.jpe