Thread: Fabric Waste
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 06:09 AM
starshine

Originally Posted by gayle bong
Originally Posted by starshine
Originally Posted by ktbb
Also, do you cut individual pieces, or do you stip quilt? Strip quilting can often save fabric.
It seems to me there is more waste in strip cutting. If you are cutting each piece of a patch individually (fussy cutting) you can line the template up and have very little waste. With strip cutting there is the cutting off the ends to line up and cutting sections to line up the ruler for triangles etc.
I just don't understand this comment. What does it mean to cut "sections" to line up the ruler for triangles etc. when cutting from strips. It sounds like someone needs a lesson in cutting. Do you mean there is lots of extra left from the strip after you cut the pieces you need? Or do u mean the useless ends of strip sets? To me strip piecing is when sewing strips together first then cutting your units from that.
I've watched "fons & porter" cut fabric using their strip method. First the cut the end of the strip to even it up, and if they are cutting triangles they cut the edge of the strip to have the correct line for the triangle, and they refer to these cuts as waste.
If you are cutting a triangle using a template, and cutting individually (fussy cut as some call it) you only cut the fabric you need, you can line up the template along the previous cut.