View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM
aorlflood

I watch "Sister Wives". I do not like the show or anything about the FLDS and the polygamist lifestyle. I watch it because I am looking for the "chinks in the armor". A lie will expose itself every time....and that's what I'm waiting for.

I am intrigued by cults and their holds over the followers, and this is why the show interests me.

If anyone is interested in learning about how "your tax dollars are at work" in the FLDS, or how that cult operates, I would encourage you to read one or both of the following books:

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer

Escape by Carolyn Jessop.

I have read another book written by a lady who was brought up in the FLDS and got out...but I can't remember the name. She recounts the sexual abuse rampant in that cult in her book.

As for "your tax dollars at work"...only the first wife is legally married so all the subsequent wives are "single mothers" and qualify for aid. Also, since most/all of the people who live in the FLDS communities are FLDS members, the police force, school system, etc. in the communities are all funded by the government but run by FLDS members.

It's very interesting and I would definitely encourage people to read up and inform themselves of how this is allowed to take place here in America where polygamy is "illegal". It is an eye-opener, to say the least.