Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I didn't save the site, but it is by Harry Bezack, a machine collector. He has over 500 machines - some of the rarest in the world. Anyway, he was talking about his collection and some of the odd machines and has one that was made by Singer in the 1940's, from WW2. This machine was a portable "surgical sewing machine used in the field to stitch wounds."

Billy have you heard of this machine?

Nancy

So interesting!

Harry's collection is wonderful, and he loves to share it. The NC TOGA group tours it each year.
Hello Miz Johnny, we have missed you!

So something else I found really interesting from Harry Bezack's site: He was talking about the monopoly that the major (I think 4) manufacturers of sewing machines had in the late 1800's. How they grouped all their patents together and sued anyone that made a machine using what they perceived to be their patents, basically keeping competition at a standstill. So companies that were trying to get on the band wagon and make a sewing machine came up with some really innovative designs so they wouldn't be infringing on anyone's patent. There was some sewing machine that had a needle come up from the bottom instead of going down from the top, an upside down machine!

I find this stuff so facinating!

I guess in the late 1800's early 1900's your sewing machine was a symbol of your wealth, so lot's of companies wanted to make sewing machines.

Nancy