View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Grandmama Pat

Well, as a child I would sit and watch my mom sew. As soon as she thought I was ready, she taught me to do embroidery and then in the 6th grade, we had a sewing class and I learned then that I had a knack for sewing. When I really got started was when we moved to St. Louis and the school was sponsoring dances. I wanted the full, swingy skirts so I would look "good" while dancing. From that time on, my mom let me make all the clothing for myself I wanted to. My sister also sews and we would fight over the sewing machine because we always had to have something "new" for the Saturday night dances. This was after my mom and I moved back to Alabama. The National Guard Armory always had square dances on Saturday nights and we didn't miss a one. We were the best dressed gals there! After I married and had three girls, I sewed constantly. I even sewed for some members of my family. Mom still continued to sew until her eyesight got bad and she couldn't maneuver the fabric because of arthritis. I only caught the quilting bug a few years ago but I love working with the fabrics (always have) and seeing what I can create. My sister and I went to a beginner quilting class and we've both been quilting since. Boy, this sure brings back the memories!!