Thread: Arthritic hands
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Alondra

Just keep moving. Cut out as much sugar as you can (and that includes simple starches like white potatoes, white rice, and pastas, unless they're whole wheat or whole rice pastas, because they're converted to sugar in your body, and sugar exacerbates arthritis - and that also includes alcohol) and supplement with Vitamin D3 and B vitamins. And run that all by your doctor before you start! That's just what seems to work for a lot of people. I've noticed that some days are worse than others, and it's usually when I've OD'd on sugar. I refuse to take steroids or Prednisone or other drugs that do more harm than good. I have not found glucosamine/chondroitin helpful - in fact, quite the contrary. Alas! it sounded like it might be the magic bullet... but no.... Go to http://www.mercola.com and type "arthritis" in the query box, and see what Dr. Mercola has to say - he also tells you the down-side to the various drugs commonly prescribed for arthritis, and has a good explanation of both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. He's usually right on with his information to help us make the best decision for ourselves.

Good luck, and just keep on quilting, but above all, don't stop quilting just because your fingers hurt. Do what you can when you can. Remember, some days will be better than others.