Thread: Quilt frame
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 02:10 PM
MarthaT

Awhile back there was a thread about hand quilting frames and I didn't have any pictures to show my very inexpensive, easy to make frame. Now I do, so I guess I'll start a new thread. Hope the pictures make sense. If not, feel free to ask questions.

Four pieces of wood 2 in. wide with fabric attached, held together by C clamps on wooden stands 28 in. tall.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140532[/ATTACH]

Oops! ( should have turned it first) Close-up of stand
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140533[/ATTACH]

First pin longest side of backing to longest sticks. Stretch out and clamp to end sticks and pin all four sides in, stretching out flat. Right side of fabric faces floor.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140535[/ATTACH]

Next layer, the batting, cut to fit. No need to pin.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140538[/ATTACH]

Finally center top on quilt frame and pin in place.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140539[/ATTACH]

Quilt along long side in as far as you can confortably reach, then unpin enough at the ends so that you can release the clamps and roll in the quilted part and reach the next section. Continue quilting on the long sides until you reach the middle and the quilt is finished!!! In this picture the borders are finished and I'm now ready to quilt the blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140542[/ATTACH]

Everything in place ready to be hand quilted. Nothing to baste. Off the floor and not in your lap. Easy to build frame that adjusts to any quilt size. I have a collections of "sticks" of various lengths to fit different quilt sizes. Just make sure there are at least two of each length.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140543[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-140527.jpe   attachment-140528.jpe   attachment-140530.jpe   attachment-140533.jpe   attachment-140534.jpe  

attachment-140537.jpe   attachment-140538.jpe