View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 PM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I've been teaching myself how to rotary cut. Its been going great so far. Today I decided to finish cutting my binding strips, which started off great but then it gave me problems. In some spots it hadn't cut through the second layer of fabric. Then I'd have to go back and make another swipe...and half the time my hand would shift and the ruler would be off and I'd cut in the wrong spot. I was applying the same amount of pressure as I normally would and after it wouldn't cut right I would apply just a little bit more and it still wouldn't cut all the way through.

I think my blade needs to be changed, but I've only cut a yard of fabric (mostly into 2 1/2" strips and then a 12x14" panel). Seems like it would be too soon to change blades. But I'm new to rotary cutting so I don't know how often the blades should be changed. How often should blades be changed?
I change them when they start to skip like you describe. But I have known poeple who have put it a new blade, but accidentally put in 2 blades! Also, here's a tip - when you make a cut, and think there might be an issue with the blade - don't move your hand, but try to move the section that you've just cut - away from the ruler (rather than moving the ruler and your hand). That way, if it doesn't cut all the way through, you can cut it again without having to re-line up the ruler.