Thread: Donations
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Lulu's Mama

Hi Barbara:
I get overwhelmed at times or get behind or something and then turn to strip quilts to make a lot in a little bit of time. I just cut 2.5" strips out of different colors and find some colors that blend well together and sew them together. Then I put a back of pre-quilted backing/batting material bought at JoAnn's and ta da - a quilt is born. I too have to watch my pennies and I use JoAnn coupons when I can. I also find new material in secondhand stores for $1 a yard. Well worth it.
I am always careful to wash and iron the secondhand material even though it is unsewn, but you don't know who handled it previously.

I tied for a long time when I started, but then tried "stitch in a ditch" which worked out great. It's fun and the quilts look so much more professional. I learned how to do it online and some day will try my hand at regular quilting.

I have made quilts using the pinwheel pattern, the rail fence, combinations of both, but because of speed my favorite is the strip quilts. I saw an ad for blankets and they had used 3-4 different blues with white and a brown and that started me looking into color. I really like them and so do the kids.

I would like to try a bargello quilt but have to wait until I am un-snowed.

Keep quilting.....
Lulu's Mama