Thread: Donations
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Lulu's Mama

Call and ask how many they could use. If they give them to the kids to keep you will have to replenish their supply anyway. At Christmastime last year the animal shelter told me they needed 90! So I made them up. I also went online and contacted Project Linus - they give to the sick kids, poor kids, I made quilts for a group our pastor talked about that were camping behind a dumpster near a big store and lived outside. All those kids were attending regular class schedules, trying to get through until June with grades good enough to get into a community college. Got to reward their fortitude.

My sister sewed as well and made crocheted booties as well as quilts for the babies born to unwed or destitute mothers. One hospital called her and asked if it was okay to bury a baby in one of her layettes because it had been born live but had died shortly thereafter. Of course she was honored and the little baby got its burial which I'm sure meant the world to the mom.My sister used to crochet in excess of 100 pairs of booties per month until she got brain cancer and now has lost the use of her left arm. The Cover Up program gives out baby clothes and quilts to babies of teen mothers, abandoned babies, abused children, and the like. There are a ton online (I just mail mine to Project Linus, but a lot of quilt shops will collect and hold items destined for charity and see to it that Project Linus gets them. Their local contact is listed by area and they are happy to fill you in with any info you need. I've even gotten yarn, material and the like from them, they collect items to finish, a project unstarted and that helps the old pocketbook too.
Lulu's Mama