View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM
mommafank

Originally Posted by dallison532
My last child was due in April, but the doctor told me that she would arrive before then. A huge storm was promised for the end of the week the second weekend of March. The doctor told me that should I not deliver before the weekend, he wanted me to go to the hospital, which is 15 miles away from home, any way, "just in case" He had fears of my pediatrician husband having to deliver me in a snow drift in the middle of busy Route # 1, should I go into labor during the predicted storm. My husband took me to the hospital on Thursday evening just as the storm was beginning.

As luck would have it, I went into labor shortly after admission. Just as suddenly everything shut down. I went to sleep, my husband went home.

During the night my husband got a call at 3:30 AM from the obstetrician in the hospital in another town. He needed help with an emergency C-section. My husband jumped into the car, got mired down in a drift caused by very high winds, and 25" of blowing snow. He called the State Police who gave him the three mile. ride to the hospital. When all was settled, how was he to get home? And, I was in the other hospital!

A friend just happened to be in the hospital where my husband was, gave him a ride home. By this time our neighbor was clearing our drive with his monstrous tractor, and had extricated the car. Again, my husband hopped into the car, and this time could drive off. He arrived just as I was being wheeled into the delivery room. The Obstetrician let him deliver our baby girl!

School had been called off that day, unusual for us. Just below our house there was a massive pile up of cars and 18 wheelers. It took a couple of hours to right every thing and every one.

Oh, how excited I was. I had wanted to go skiing all winter, but could not as my stretch pants were stretched pants! Balance not good, either. As I lay in my bed I dreamed of putting on my skiies and trekking over the barren potato fields for at least a few times before God's version of snow removal took over. I went home 5 days later to find that all of that 25" of snow had completely melted, leaving a muddy quagmire of freshly exposed farm land. Oh, it was ugly. How could anyone even think of growing food on it?

Life in a very rural area is quieter than it is in urban areas, but exciting, filled with all sorts of challenges.
Loved your story!