View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 PM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
I am also new to quilting but I was scared into thinking that all the fabrics might not shrink the same . But I wouldn't think it would matter too much it the whole quilt is finished, stitched, bound etc. I hope some seasoned quilter can comment on this.
You're exactly right. It really depends, in my experience, on the quality of the fabrics. I find the higher quality (not price, but fabric feel) doesn't change as much as the 'lessor' fabrics. However, they do change/shrink differently once their bound and quilted, then they do if just washed as yardage. I haven't ever had a fabric where I was surprised by the washing after it was completed. But, I've had several fabrics that I was surprised with the pre-wash outcome! I can only assume that once pieced and quilted, they're bound together and therefore tend to 'give' together differently.

I am a 'non-washer' unless I think something will fade badly, then I do test. Everyone will develop the process they feel most comfortable with. I never followed the 'fear' of anything in quilting, and that includes washing :)

Hope this helps,
Debbie in Austin