View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 PM
patdesign

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
If you have a 1/4 inch foot, and all your seams are the same size. it doesn't matter if it isn't exact, it will still be close enough as long as your seams are all the exact same size that is close to 1/4 inch
Sorry, that's not true. Certain patterns require scant 1/4" and to be extremely accurate and have your blocks turn out perfect the scant 1/4" is very important. As someone else said, simple patterns a general 1/4" will be o.k. But the more complex the pattern, the more necessary an accurate 1/4" or scant 1/4" is.
The best foot for older machines is the low or slant shank gauge presser foot, and I have never seen a high shank one, but there is probably one out there. I think you can find them on ebay if you are patient and willing to pay the price. The beauty of these is that there are little bars that are inserted in to the back of the foot and they allow you to make the seam size exactly what you want it to be, some of the newer 1/4 inch feet are larger than 1/4 inch and are definitely not capabale of producing a scant 1/4 inch seam. I have a little foot, but find that the plastic feet drag on my fabrics even when I lessen the presser foot pressure so I love the gauge presser foot. :-D