Old 12-17-2010, 03:25 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by dewie45
Originally Posted by Sarah
Yes, I am...they are sprinklers. Fill a bottle with water and put the top on and then sprinkle the clothes when they came off the line, roll them up and put in a plastic bag or pillow case, ater a while you ironed the clothes, the dampness made them easier to iron. If you didn't get around to ironing right way you put the clothes in the refrigerator so they didn't sour.
Absolutely! I remember it being my job to sprinkle the clothes. When I started learning to iron, I began with my dad's big hankies. Mother always used an empty Coke bottle.
I loved mine. I still have mine. I remember sprinkling on the kitchen table, rolling them all up (the correct way to roll up sprinkled clothes, of course), putting them in a pillow case and setting them outside to freeze. The best ironing was on a frozen blouse!!!!! Or hankie! Those are the things you blow your nose with and are made out of cloth. Can you imagine that hankie going through the white clothes - Gross. Never thought about that before!

Here's an old one - How about the tall plastic container you filled with water and Hi-Lex and after you got through dipping the dirty diaper in the toilet you dropped it in the water. Come time to wash diapers, you would stick your hand in the container and pulled out a wet diaper, wring it out, set it aside and when the container was empty, you would put the wrung out dirty diapers back in,throw the dirty water down the toilet, take them to the basement, wash them again in soap and Hi-Lex and hang them out on the line. The most beautiful sight in the world. And the best thing of all was folding them into the traditional diaper shape, put them all in a pile and put them away. I never diapered a baby with cloth diapers after that. They were all disposable. I am so very happy that I had that part of my life - putting on, changing, soaking, etc. I folded diapers outside watching our son play in the yard, I folded diapers in the living room while he was playing on the floor and I folded diapers on our bed while he was taking a nap.

No, I didn't sprinkle them and iron them. Kids are missing so much today, aren't they? I still iron hankies, dish towels, napkins and table cloths. And whatever I see that needs ironing I do so. Have a nice day. Edie