View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Quilter2B

Since I used to sew a lot of clothing, I separate the types of fabric, flannel from cotton from knit, etc. I have two bookcases in my sewing room closet, one for cottons and one for flannels.

I've collected empty cardboard bolts from JA's. Each one cut down (8" wide by 11") will give me four good solid "mini" bolts to wrap my fabric on if it is 1 yd or more (I use a flathead pin and a small snip of paper to label quantity). I like them shelved like books because it makes it easier to pull stuff out and put it away.

My cotton is organized by color; my flannel is organized by gender, girls on one shelf, boys on another. I'm not much into FQs so that isn't an issue (yet ;-}). Larger yardage or wider (58"+) are hanging from skirt/slack hangers between the two bookcases with full size bolts on the floor below.

All my smaller pieces I have folded on top of the bookcase or in a cloth bag or basket. I make skull caps that I sell on etsy and in a bike shop in SoCal - all that is in a big basket. My scraps an in plastic bins, separate by type of fabric - no color organization there yet.

And of course, stuff for a specific project are collected together in a box or plastic zip bag (like you get when you buy sheets and stuff).

Oh yeah, I have one plastic zip bag specifically for Christmas fabrics. Plus there are 6 - 7 bins out in the garage - those sorted by type of fabric and color.

Too bad we have to live in our house, I think I could fill it up with fabric - oh my.

Cotton side of the closet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145156[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145151.jpe